Setting training zones
With Functional Threshold Power (FTP) established, the following zones can be set for power-based training:
- Zone 1: Active Recovery = < 55% of FTP
- Zone 2: Endurance = 56-75% of FTP
- Zone 3: Tempo = 76-90% of FTP
- Zone 4: Lactate Threshold = 91-105% of FTP
- Zone 5: VO2 Max = 106-120% of FTP
- Zone 6: Anaerobic Capacity = 121-150% of FTP
- Zone 7: Neuromuscular Power = maximum effort
With power based training, it is important to keep track of Functional Threshold Power (FTP), and make sure it is current. FTP changes relatively quickly and expect FTP to change about every four to eight weeks as fitness develops. Monitoring FTP also provides excellent insight into fitness development.
Refer to the "Training Guide" section for suggestions on training using the 7 zone power-based training method.